Dear STEM Community,
Students and staff at Dayton Regional STEM School are excited to participate in another school-wide design challenge this year. This challenge is scheduled for the week of January 29th - February 2nd, with some preparation and prerequisite work throughout the winter months. The driving question for this challenge is "How can drones be used to solve a problem and/or enrich the experience of people in the Dayton region?" We look forward to providing an opportunity for students to explore unmanned aerial systems as an innovative technology, along with career opportunities and practical applications within our community.
In order to make this an authentic experience, we are looking for professional partners who can support students throughout this process. Here are some of the ways partners could engage in the design challenge:
- You use drones as a professional or enthusiast and can provide assistance to students and teachers with operation and/or uses.
- You have a specific problem that students can help solve using drones.
- You have a need for a drone training course or simulation that our students could design and facilitate for you.
- You represent an industry or profession where drones are being used and can share examples of practical applications.
- You represent an industry or profession where drones will or could be utilized in the future and could provide information on the industry needs as our students innovate.
- You can provide general feedback to student groups on their ideas and designs.
- You'd like to sponsor this year's design challenge and help lower the student-to-drone ratio.
- You would like to be a general volunteer during the design challenge week.
- And more!
If one or more of these scenarios fits you or your organization, we would love to partner with you! You DO NOT need to be a drone expert to participate in this experience. We also know that the above list is not exhaustive. If you have another idea for how you'd like to be involved, please let us know!
We will host a short virtual Design Challenge Info Session to share more about our plans, timeline, partner needs, and next steps on Monday, October 30th at 2pm. Please RSVP here to receive a meeting link. If you cannot attend the meeting but would like to partner with us, you can still RSVP and a recording will be sent to you.
These engaging learning experiences for students at the STEM School would not be possible without the support of our incredible community partners. Thank you so much for your consideration and please reach out if you have any questions or ideas. Have a great weekend!